Since its founding, Fishman Haygood has consistently been the “go to” firm for matters implicating the rights of news outlets and reporters to access court proceedings and public records and to freely report on matters of public concern.
The firm regularly represents media outlets, reporters, and others in lawsuits to obtain access to government meetings, court proceedings, and public records on subjects ranging from police misconduct and corruption in government contracting to Louisiana State University’s search for a new president. The firm also regularly defends media clients in defamation actions, disputes involving intellectual property rights, and matters involving subpoenas.
Partner Lori Mince has represented the Associated Press, The New York Times, ProPublica, Cable News Network, American Oversight, the Guardian, The Times-Picayune, and others.
She also has taught a course on First Amendment and media law at Tulane University. Mince serves as the editor of the Louisiana chapter of the MLRC 50-State Survey: Media Libel Law, and regularly speaks on matters involving media law.
- Representation of the Guardian and the Associated Press in efforts to secure the public release of sealed information regarding a retired Archdiocese of New Orleans priest accused of child abuse.
- Representation of the Associated Press in an an anti-trust action brought against the AP, the BBC, The Washington Post, and Reuters by Children’s Health Defense, a nonprofit founded by Robert Kennedy, Jr. to campaign against various public health programs, such as vaccination and fluoridation of drinking water.
- Representation of The Times-Picayune in public records litigation against the New Orleans Police Department.
- Representation of The New York Times in a defamation suit filed against it by Loyola University professor Walter Block.
- Representation of The Times-Picayune and The Advocate in public records litigation against Louisiana State University arising from its refusal to release resumes of individuals considered for President of the University.
- Representation of freelance reporter in access litigation against the Orleans Parish Coroner seeking records related to numerous suspicious deaths occurring in the days following Hurricane Katrina.
- Representation of CNN in public records litigation against the Louisiana Attorney General seeking access to records related to investigation of deaths at a New Orleans hospital following Hurricane Katrina.