Albert O. “Chip” Saulsbury IV
Chip Saulsbury’s practice primarily focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and general corporate matters.
Chip represents private equity funds and SBA licensed Small Business Investment Companies (SBICs) in acquisitions of portfolio companies, add-on acquisitions, other direct equity and debt investments, and exits or divestitures from these various investments. Chip also represents family investment offices and individuals in investments in private equity and hedge funds and direct investment activity. Chip frequently represents mature business in strategic acquisitions and sellers of business as they engage in the sale process. He also has experience advising family and closely held businesses in transitioning ownership and management to the next generation or in sales to third parties.
Chip also frequently assists entrepreneurs, founders and management teams of emerging businesses as they seek outside financing and growth capital to take their business to the next level or in their pursuit of a partnership, sale or other exit transaction.
Chip has significant experience in corporate restructuring transactions and the formation and structuring of new businesses and joint ventures through the use of limited liability companies and corporations.
Chip served as the President of the Board of Commissioners of the Garden District Security District and is a member of Board of Trustees of the Friends of the Beauregard-Keyes House. Chip also served as a junior member of the Council of the Louisiana State Law Institute. He is a published author and frequently presents on topics dealing with M&A and LLCs.
J.D., magna cum laude, from Louisiana State University, 2011
- Executive Senior Editor of the Louisiana Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- B.A. from Washington and Lee University, 2004
Publications / Presentations
- “The Availability of Takeover Defenses and Deal Protection Devices for Anglo-American Target Companies,” 37 Del. J. Corp. L. 115 (2012)
- “Devil Inside the Deal: An Examination of Louisiana Non-Compete Agreements in Business Acquisitions,” 86 Tul. L. Rev. 713 (2012)
- “Catch You on the Flip Side: A Comparative Analysis of the Default Rules on Withdrawal from a Louisiana Limited Liability Company,” 71 La. L. Rev. 675 (2011)
- Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately Held Businesses, LSU Law School (Annual Apprenticeship Week Course)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Skills Course, Loyola New Orleans College of Law (Annual Course)
- Creating Practical Procedures in LLC Operating Agreements, NBI Seminar (December 2015)
- Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately-Held Companies, NBI Seminar (June 2015)
- Forming Limited Liability Companies, NBI Seminar (June 2015)
- Advanced Business Contracts: Acquisition Agreement, NBI Seminar (August 2014)
- LLC Workshop: Choose, Draft, Maintain- Drafting LLC Operating Agreements, NBI Seminar (December 2012)
- Getting on Solid Ground in Real Estate: Entity Formation, ABA Section of Real Property Trust and Estate Law Seminar (September 2012)
- Rouses Markets in acquisitions and general corporate matters, including:
- Black Bay Energy Capital, an energy private equity firm investing in the North American oilfield service sector, in acquisitions and investments, including its investments in:
- Premium Parking in acquisitions and general corporate matters
- Bollinger Enterprises, LLC, a single family investment office, in direct investments in real estate, hedge funds, private equity, and other debt and equity investments.
- Sale of Gulf Coast Energy Resources, LLC, an oil and gas exploration and production company to Talos Energy LLC
- TurboSquid, Inc. in its sale and cross-licensing of certain software and technology assets to Autodesk, Inc., a publicly traded software company
- Stirling Properties in its acquisition, corporate restructuring and ongoing development of Fremaux Town Center, a Slidell, Louisiana based commercial real estate venture
- Sale of Joe N. Miles & Sons Lumber, a family-held operator of two southern pine sawmills in Silver Creek, MS and Bogalusa, LA to Hood Industries.
- Total Life Care RX Pharmacy, a specialty and home infusion pharmacy based in Harvey, Louisiana, in its sale to ModernHealth.
- Sale of Family Security Insurance Company to United Insurance Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: UIHC)
- Precision IBC, Inc. in its acquisition of Proline Systems, Inc., a provider of bulk system handling solutions to the oil and gas industry based on New Iberia, Louisiana
- Jefferson Capital Partners, an SBIC, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and mezzanine debt investments, including acquisitions of:
- Cobalt Enterprises, an aerospace, defense and commercial manufacturing company
- Quality Manufacturing, a company with expertise in close-tolerance turning parts
- Polaris Machining, a company with extensive milling capability
- Vector Industries, and its significant capabilities in sheet metal fabrication
- Config Consultants, a California based technology consulting firm
- LongueVue Capital, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and mezzanine debt investments, including Ascent Aviation Services Corp., a Tucson based provider of maintenance, repair and overhaul of narrow body aircraft.
- $400 Million private equity based capital raising transaction for oil and gas exploration and production company
- $150 Million sale of assets and private equity offering for oil and gas exploration and production company
- Corporate restructuring and roll-up transaction by commercial real estate development group
- Formation of numerous technology-based start-up companies and other ventures
- Listed in Super Lawyers Rising Star (since 2017)