Chip Saulsbury’s practice primarily focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance, and general corporate matters.
Chip frequently represents private equity funds in acquisitions of portfolio companies, add-on acquisitions, other direct equity and debt investments, and exits or divestitures from these various investments. Chip also represents family investment offices and individuals in investments in private equity funds, hedge funds, and other direct investment activity. Chip frequently represents mature businesses in strategic acquisitions and sellers of businesses as they engage in the sale process. He also has experience advising family and closely held businesses in transitioning ownership and management to the next generation or in sales to third parties.
Chip advises entrepreneurs, founders and management teams of emerging businesses as they seek outside financing and growth capital to take their business to the next level or in their pursuit of a partnership, sale or other exit transaction.
Chip also assists clients in obtaining secured debt financing, often in the form of asset-based secured loans, multi-lender syndicated credit facilities, or other commercial loan transactions.
Chip has significant experience in corporate restructuring transactions and the formation and structuring of new businesses and joint ventures through the use of limited liability companies and corporations.
Chip currently serves on the Board of the Garden District Association, the Garden District Security District (Past President), the St. Charles Avenue Association, and the Friends of the Beauregard-Keyes House. Chip also served as a junior member of the Council of the Louisiana State Law Institute. He is a published author and frequently presents on topics dealing with M&A and LLCs.
J.D., magna cum laude, from Louisiana State University, 2011
- Executive Senior Editor of the Louisiana Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- B.A. from Washington and Lee University, 2004
Publications / Presentations
- “The Availability of Takeover Defenses and Deal Protection Devices for Anglo-American Target Companies,” 37 Del. J. Corp. L. 115 (2012)
- “Devil Inside the Deal: An Examination of Louisiana Non-Compete Agreements in Business Acquisitions,” 86 Tul. L. Rev. 713 (2012)
- “Catch You on the Flip Side: A Comparative Analysis of the Default Rules on Withdrawal from a Louisiana Limited Liability Company,” 71 La. L. Rev. 675 (2011)
- Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately Held Businesses, LSU Law School (Annual Apprenticeship Week Course)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Skills Course, Loyola New Orleans College of Law (Annual Course)
- Rouses Markets in acquisitions, financing, and general corporate matters, including:
- Black Bay Energy Capital, an energy private equity firm investing in the North American oilfield service sector, in acquisitions and investments, including its investments in:
- Total Operations and Production Services, LLC, a provider of electric driven gas lift compression systems 
- Altitude Energy Partners, LLC, a provider of directional drilling and wireline services.
- SCS Technologies, LLC, a provider of measurement and control system solutions for oil & gas production and midstream operators throughout the Permian Basin
- ADS Services, LLC, a provider of pressure control equipment and services in the Permian Basin
- Premium Parking in acquisitions and general corporate matters
- Bollinger Enterprises, LLC, a single family investment office, in direct investments in real estate, hedge funds, private equity, and other direct debt and equity investments.
- Sale of Gulf Coast Energy Resources, LLC, an oil and gas exploration and production company to Talos Energy LLC
- TurboSquid, Inc. in its sale and cross-licensing of certain software and technology assets to Autodesk, Inc., a publicly traded software company
- Stirling Properties in its acquisition, corporate restructuring and ongoing development of Fremaux Town Center, a Slidell, Louisiana based commercial real estate venture
- Sale of Joe N. Miles & Sons Lumber, a family-held operator of two southern pine sawmills in Silver Creek, MS and Bogalusa, LA to Hood Industries.
- Total Life Care RX Pharmacy, a specialty and home infusion pharmacy based in Harvey, Louisiana, in its sale to ModernHealth.
- Sale of Family Security Insurance Company to United Insurance Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: UIHC)
- Precision IBC, Inc. in its acquisition of Proline Systems, Inc., a provider of bulk system handling solutions to the oil and gas industry based on New Iberia, Louisiana
- Jefferson Capital Partners, an SBIC, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and mezzanine debt investments, including acquisitions of:
- Cobalt Enterprises, an aerospace, defense and commercial manufacturing company
- Quality Manufacturing, a company with expertise in close-tolerance turning parts
- Polaris Machining, a company with extensive milling capability
- Vector Industries, and its significant capabilities in sheet metal fabrication
- Config Consultants, a California based technology consulting firm
- LongueVue Capital, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and mezzanine debt investments, including Ascent Aviation Services Corp., a Tucson based provider of maintenance, repair and overhaul of narrow body aircraft.
- Crescent Pass Energy, an oil and gas exploration and production company, in its private equity financing by Talara Capital Management.
- Tundra Oil & Gas, an oil and gas exploration and production company, in its sale of assets and private equity financing by Denham Capital.
- Corporate restructuring and roll-up transaction by commercial real estate development group
- Formation of numerous technology-based start-up companies and other ventures
- Listed in Super Lawyers Rising Star (since 2017)