Chip Saulsbury’s practice primarily focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance, and general corporate matters.
Chip frequently represents private equity funds in acquisitions of portfolio companies, add-on acquisitions, other direct equity and debt investments, and exits or divestitures from these various investments. Chip also represents family investment offices and individuals in investments in private equity funds, hedge funds, and other direct investment activity. Chip frequently represents mature businesses in strategic acquisitions and sellers of businesses as they engage in the sale process. He also has experience advising family and closely held businesses in transitioning ownership and management to the next generation or in sales to third parties.
Chip also assists clients in obtaining secured debt financing, often in the form of asset-based secured loans, multi-lender syndicated credit facilities, or other commercial loan transactions. He has been particularly active recently in sale-leaseback transactions and credit-tenant lease financing structures.
Chip also advises entrepreneurs, founders and management teams of emerging businesses as they seek outside financing and growth capital to take their business to the next level or in their pursuit of a partnership, sale or other exit transaction.
Chip has significant experience in corporate restructuring transactions and the formation and structuring of new businesses and joint ventures through the use of limited liability companies and corporations.
J.D., magna cum laude, from Louisiana State University, 2011
- Executive Senior Editor of the Louisiana Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- B.A. from Washington and Lee University, 2004
Publications / Presentations
- “The Availability of Takeover Defenses and Deal Protection Devices for Anglo-American Target Companies,” 37 Del. J. Corp. L. 115 (2012)
- “Devil Inside the Deal: An Examination of Louisiana Non-Compete Agreements in Business Acquisitions,” 86 Tul. L. Rev. 713 (2012)
- “Catch You on the Flip Side: A Comparative Analysis of the Default Rules on Withdrawal from a Louisiana Limited Liability Company,” 71 La. L. Rev. 675 (2011)
- Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately Held Businesses, LSU Law School (Annual Apprenticeship Week Course)
- Mergers and Acquisitions Skills Course, Loyola New Orleans College of Law (Annual Course)
- Veyron Global in acquisitions of real estate and intangible assets in excess of $2.0B from national and international corporations and not-for profits and related financings using its innovative financial structures.
- Rouses Markets in acquisitions, financing, and general corporate matters, including:
- Black Bay Energy Capital, an energy private equity firm investing in the North American oilfield service sector, in acquisitions and investments, including its investments in:
- Total Operations and Production Services, LLC (TOPS), a provider of electric driven gas lift compression systems  and the sale of TOPS to Apollo Global Management
- Piñon Midstream, a sour gas treating and carbon capture infrastructure solution in the Delaware Basin
- NEXGEN Oilfield Chemicals, a provider of chemical technologies to oil & gas operators
- Altitude Energy Partners, LLC, a provider of directional drilling and wireline services.
- SCS Technologies, LLC, a provider of measurement and control system solutions for oil & gas production and midstream operators throughout the Permian Basin
- ADS Services, LLC, a provider of pressure control equipment and services in the Permian Basin
- TurboSquid, Inc., a leading global 3D model marketplace, in its sale to Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK)
- The Gray Insurance Company in connection with the investment by Bernhard Capital Partners Management in The Gray Casualty and Surety Company
- EDKO, LLC, a provider of vegetation management services to utilities, municipalities and other operators, in its sale to Incline Equity Partners
- Whetstone Education, a provider of the leading teacher observation and instruction coaching software platform, in its sale to SchoolMint
- Scariano Brothers, LLC, a Hammond, LA based food distributor, in its sale to Quirch Foods, a portfolio company of Palladium Equity Partners.
- Bollinger Enterprises, LLC, a single family investment office, in direct investments in real estate, hedge funds, private equity, and other direct debt and equity investments.
- Black Lake Capital, a private equity investment firm, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and other investments, including the acquisition of the supply chain consulting companies SCAPath and Spinnaker SCS
- Sale of Gulf Coast Energy Resources, LLC, an oil and gas exploration and production company to Talos Energy LLC
- Sale of Joe N. Miles & Sons Lumber, a family-held operator of two southern pine sawmills in Silver Creek, MS and Bogalusa, LA to Hood Industries.
- Total Life Care RX Pharmacy, a specialty and home infusion pharmacy based in Harvey, Louisiana, in its sale to ModernHealth.
- Sale of Family Security Insurance Company to United Insurance Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ: UIHC)
- LongueVue Capital, in acquisitions of portfolio companies and mezzanine debt investments, including Ascent Aviation Services Corp., a Tucson based provider of maintenance, repair and overhaul of narrow body aircraft.
- Crescent Pass Energy, an oil and gas exploration and production company, in its private equity financing by Talara Capital Management.
- Tundra Oil & Gas, an oil and gas exploration and production company, in its sale of assets and private equity financing by Denham Capital.
- Corporate restructuring and roll-up transaction by commercial real estate development group
- Formation of numerous technology-based start-up companies and other ventures
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Securities Regulation, New Orleans (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America® in Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, and Securities Regulation (Since 2021)
- Ranked in Chambers USA in Corporate/M&A (Since 2019)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2017-2021)
- Listed in Top Lawyers (M&A) by New Orleans Magazine (2021)