We regularly represent media outlets, reporters, and others in lawsuits to obtain access to government meetings, court proceedings, and public records; in lawsuits alleging defamation and invasion of privacy claims; and in matters involving subpoenas. Our current and recent clients include The Times-Picayune | Nola.com, The New York Times, The Associated Press, The Advocate, and ProPublica.
Examples of our current or recent matters include:
- Representation of The Times-Picayune in public records litigation against the New Orleans Police Department
- Representation of The New York Times in a defamation suit filed against it by Loyola University professor Walter Block
- Representation of The Times-Picayune and The Advocate in public records litigation against Louisiana State University arising from its refusal to release resumes of individuals considered for President of the University
- Representation of freelance reporter in access litigation against the Orleans Parish Coroner
- Representation of CNN in public records litigation against the Louisiana Attorney General seeking access to records related to investigation of deaths at a New Orleans hospital following Hurricane Katrina
Partner Lori Mince and Alysson Mills have also taught a course on First Amendment and media law at Tulane University. Mince also serves as the editor of the Louisiana chapter of the MLRC 50-State Survey: Media Libel Law.