Jeff B. Goldman
Jeff Goldman is an attorney in our firm’s Litigation Section.
Jeff is an experienced litigator whose experience practice includes oil and gas law, as well as environmental litigation, commercial litigation, insurance coverage litigation, insurance defense, professional liability, employment law, and construction law. His prior experience includes oil & gas law and environmental law, both in litigation, regulatory, and transactional practice.
Jeff has extensive experience with complex, high-stakes litigation. He has represented clients in the Bayou Corne sinkhole litigation, the parish “coastal zone” lawsuits, as well as a multitude of “legacy” lawsuits involving the environmental restoration of older oil fields.
J.D., cum laude, from Loyola University of New Orleans College of Law, 2006
- Member of the Loyola Law Review
- B.A. in English Literature from Davidson College, 2001
Publications / Presentations
- Jefferson B. Goldman & Emile Dreuil, “I’m Not My Lessor’s Keeper!” Landman, a publication of the American Association of Professional Landmen (March/April 2016)
- Emile Dreuil & Jefferson B. Goldman, “Am I My Lessor’s Keeper? Louisiana Second Circuit Places New Duties on Mineral Lessees.” Landman (March/April 2015)
- “Landmen, Lawyers, and the Unauthorized Practice of Law in Louisiana and Elsewhere,” Gulf Coast Land Institute (October 2017)
- “Ethics for the Oil and Gas Lawyer and Landman,” LORMAN Emerging Louisiana Legal and Land Issues on the Outer Continental Shelf (March 2014)
- “Offshore Liens,” LORMAN Emerging Louisiana Legal and Land Issues on the Outer Continental Shelf (March 2014)
- “Landmen, Lawyers, the Regulation of Their Professions, and the Practice of Law (Authorized or Otherwise): What Landmen Can and Can’t Do in Louisiana, and Why.” PLANO Lunch Seminar, Gulf Coast Land Institute (October 2013)
- CLE presentation on offshore liens, Professional Landmen’s Association of New Orleans (April 2013)
- “Mineral Rights and the Sovereign; an Examination on the Margins of Sovereign Lands.” Oil & Gas Committee of the New Orleans Bar Association (February 2011)
- Represented E&P company in extremely complex legacy suit in Iberville Parish, located in 85-year-old field containing multiple lease chains, over salt dome and adjacent to Strategic Petroleum Reserve facility.
- Represented E&P company at trial of legacy lawsuit in Cameron Parish.
- Represented E&P company at trial of indemnity claims arising out of a legacy suit.
- Tried commercial litigation between oil field service and supply contractors regarding unpaid bills.
- Represented mid-sized upstream client in several of the current “Parish Coastal Zone Management” lawsuits.
- Represented E&P company in multiple suits arising from the collapse of a brine mining cavern near Bayou Corne, La.
- Represented multiple E&P companies in numerous “legacy” lawsuits which did not reach trial.
- Represented major oil company in APA suit challenging offshore exploration and development permits.
- Represented American Association of Professional Landmen and filed amicus brief to Louisiana Supreme Court on its behalf in support of defendant oil company accused of defrauding its lessees by purchasing their royalties without sufficiently informing them of the value of those royalties. The effect of plaintiffs’ claims would have been to make a mineral lessee the fiduciary of his lessor.
- Represented asbestos victims in lawsuits in both federal and state courts, at the district and appellate level, against former employers, premises owners, manufacturers, and their insurers.
- Represented nationwide architecture and engineering company in multiple lawsuits.
- Represented multiple employers in harassment, retaliation, non-compete, and equal pay suits.
- Represented government entity in multiple regulatory, employment, public relations, and open government matters.
- Counseled E&P companies negotiating purchase, sale, and remediation of oil and gas properties.
- Counseled pipeline company on reactivation of pipeline whose rights-of-way had prescribed through non-use.
- Counseled E&P and service companies regarding allegations of environmental regulatory violations on offshore platforms.
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit