Alysson L. Mills
t: (504) 586-5253
f: (504) 310-0253
Alysson Mills is a partner in our Litigation Section. She practices in federal courts across the nation and in state courts in Mississippi and Louisiana. She recently was named Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year by the Louisiana State Bar Association.
Alysson’s practice is diverse. She represents businesses in general commercial litigation cases and clients of all backgrounds in cases implicating the First Amendment. She is a member of the CJA Panel for the Eastern District of Louisiana and is regularly appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants in federal court.
A large part of Alysson’s practice is devoted to appellate work. She has authored briefs in the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits, and serves as lead or sole counsel in appeals before the Fifth Circuit.
Alysson has taught a course on First Amendment and media law at Tulane University for several years, and this fall she will teach a course titled “The First Amendment in 2017” at the University of Mississippi.
Outside the law, Alysson is immediate past-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Lycée Français de la Nouvelle-Orléans and also serves on the governing boards of the American Red Cross (SELA Chapter), the Younger Lawyers Division of the New Orleans Federal Bar Association, and the Choice Foundation, the governing board of three public charter schools in New Orleans.
J.D., summa cum laude, from University of Mississippi, 2008
- Editor-in-Chief of the Mississippi Law Journal
- MPhil, with distinction, from Trinity College Dublin, 2005
- B.A. in French and B.A. in International Studies, magna cum laude, from University of Mississippi, 2002
- Clerk to the Honorable E. Grady Jolly of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2008-2009
Publications / Presentations
- Guest Speaker, “The Fourteenth Amendment: Transforming American Democracy,” Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, May 5, 2017
- Panelist, “Civil Rights Etouffee,” Federal Bar Association Civil Rights Section, April 7, 2017
- Guest Speaker, “Fake News and the First Amendment,” Association for Women Attorneys, March 17, 2017
- Panelist, “Eastern District of Louisiana Civil Pro Bono Panel,” New Orleans Federal Bar Association, April 2016
- Author, amicus brief on behalf of 63 law professors in support of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer’s efforts to compel the Department of Justice to publicly disclose its Federal Criminal Discovery Blue Book, filed in NACDL v. U.S. Dep’t of Justice, No. 15-5051 (D.C. Cir. 2015)
- Panelist, “Media 101: What to Do When a Reporter Calls,” New Orleans Bar Association, December 2014
- Author, “Constance McMillen: Extending the Rights of LGBT Students,” American Bar Association, January 2011
Alysson has handled a number of interesting matters, including representing:
- Multinational music group in copyright lawsuit filed in federal court
- National newspaper in defamation lawsuits filed in federal court
- Mississippi beer distributor in state court lawsuit against national beer manufacturers alleging tortious interference with contract and violations of Mississippi Beer Industry Fair Dealing Act
- Louisiana retirees who collectively lost more than $50 million in federal lawsuit against their investment advisors
- New Orleans upscale shopping center in state court lawsuits to enforce commercial leases
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court