Alysson L. Mills
t: (504) 586-5253
f: (504) 310-0253
Alysson Mills is a partner in our Litigation Section. She recently was named Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year by the Louisiana State Bar Association.
Alysson’s practice includes First Amendment, securities, and general commercial litigation cases. She also regularly represents indigent criminal defendants in federal court. She is a member of the CJA Panel for the Eastern District of Louisiana and serves as co-counsel with the Innocence Project in federal habeas cases in Mississippi.
A large part of Alysson’s practice is devoted to appellate work. She has authored briefs in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits, and serves as lead or sole counsel in appeals before the Fifth Circuit.
Outside the office, Alysson co-teaches a course on First Amendment and media law at Tulane University. She is immediate past-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Lycée Français de la Nouvelle-Orléans and also serves on the governing boards of the American Red Cross for Southeast Louisiana, the Younger Lawyers Division of the New Orleans Federal Bar Association, and the Choice Foundation, the governing board of three turnaround public charter schools in New Orleans.
J.D., summa cum laude, from University of Mississippi, 2008
- Editor-in-Chief of the Mississippi Law Journal
- MPhil, with distinction, from Trinity College Dublin, 2005
- B.A. in French and B.A. in International Studies, magna cum laude, from University of Mississippi, 2002
- Clerk to the Honorable E. Grady Jolly of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2008-2009
Publications / Presentations
- “Eastern District of Louisiana Civil Pro Bono CLE,” New Orleans Federal Bar Association, April 2016
- Amicus brief on behalf of 63 law professors, in support of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer’s efforts to compel the Department of Justice to publicly disclose its Federal Criminal Discovery Blue Book, filed in NACDL v. U.S. Dep’t of Justice, No. 15-5051 (D.C. Cir. 2015)
- “Media 101: What to Do When a Reporter Calls,” New Orleans Bar Association CLEProgram, December 2014
- “Constance McMillen: Extending the Rights of LGBT Students,” American Bar Association publication, January 2011
Alysson has handled a number of interesting matters, including representing:
- Investors who lost more than $50 million in a securities fraud action against their investment advisors in federal district court
- The developer of a $30 million petroleum facility in a land dispute with a Louisiana parish in federal district court
- An upscale shopping center in an action to enforce a commercial lease against a national restaurant chain in state court
- A national newspaper in defamation lawsuit in federal district court and court of appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court